These simple Crochet Chunky Hats make for the perfect gift for family and friends! Learn how easy they are to make by following along with the pattern and step by step video tutorial!
Hello friends! Welcome back to my blog and if you’re new here, welcome! I’m so glad to have you! Today I’m sharing a fun new crochet pattern – the Crochet Chunky Hat pattern! I absolutely love this pattern because its super quick and simple, but in the end you get a hat that looks like something you would see in a boutique!
To make your own hat, keep scrolling to find the pattern and tutorial below!
This pattern and video tutorial is completely beginner friendly and will use the following skills:
- Half double crochet
- Whip stitch (to sew the hat together)
Left Handed Video Tutorial
Right Handed Video Tutorial
CROCHET CHUNKY HAT PATTERN
This post might contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase from one of my links, I may receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you). For more information please see my policies page. Thank you for your continued support and knitting/crocheting along with me!
Printable pattern options:
- Purchase the ad-free printable PDF pattern HERE from my Etsy shop for $3.50.
- Join the Just Be Crafty Club! Gain instant access this pattern PDF download as well my ENTIRE PDF pattern library ad-free! Click HERE for more information!
Sizing & Finished Measurements
- 9 stitches by 6 rows = 4 inches in half double crochet ribbing
- The pattern is written in size small, medium, large, with small being child size, medium for teens, and large for adults.
- If you prefer a snugger fit, size down, and or size down your crochet hook.
- Sizes are listed as follows for yarn amounts and pattern directions:
- S (M, L)
- 10 mm crochet hook (I use this set!)
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick (Pictured in Oatmeal, Succulent, and Spice)
- Each ball is 106 yards; Weight/Fiber: 6-super bulky, 80% Acrylic, 20% Wool
- You need: 1 (2, 2) balls
- Pom Pom Maker
- Tape Measure
- Gauge Checker
- Yarn Needle
- Sharp Scissors
- ch – chain
- hdc – half double crochet
CROCHET CHUNKY HAT – Pattern starts here:
Chain 26, (30, 33)
Row 1: Starting in 3rd ch from hook, hdc across row in back bar of chain, turn. 24 (28, 31)
Row 2: Ch 2, hdc in back loops only across row, turn. 24 (28, 31)
Repeat Row 2 for a total of 22 (25, 28) rows.
Leaving a tail that’s approximately 2 – 3 arm’s lengths long, fasten off.
SEAMING THE HAT
Fold piece in half so that the starting and finishing edges are touching. Line up your stitches. Thread tail into yarn needle and whip stitch hat seam closed.
CINCHING THE HAT TOP
Using yarn needle insert the hook and whip stitch into the side of each stitch in every row around the top of hat.
Once you reach back around to where you started, gently pull your yarn tail to cinch closed.
Take yarn needle and secure cinch and close any remaining hole with whip stitch. Knot and fasten off. Pull any tails to the inside of the hat.
MAKING THE POM POM
Using your pom pom maker, create a 3 inch pom pom.
Make sure you leave a long tail so that you can easily attach your pom pom to your hat!
Lay hat and pom pom out in front of you. Use pom pom tails and a yarn needle to attach pom pom to center top of the hat.
Knot tails on inside of hat to secure.
Weave in all ends.